Friday, November 6, 2015

Celebrating Jamaica!

After a full week of strenuous work and volunteering, it was finally time time to enjoy the Jamaican beaches.  This was not like any vacation afternoon, but a time for all of us to enjoy a rewarding week and celebrate the accomplishments we all have made.

The team has bonded after spending a full week in close quarters and long days together. It felt like I was simply spending quality time on the beach with people I had been together with for months. As I look around, I see smiles on everyone's faces as they sip their Red Stripe beer with their new found friends who share the same compassion and lust for life.

Iryna and I swam out beyond the ropes to go for a long swim, overcome by laughter as we soaked in the Jamaica sun and try our yoga moves in the ocean. This was followed by a game of dominos with the locals.  Britt (with her Kelly Kapowski bathing suit) and Jordan talked for hours on the shore while Jen lounged on her beach chair.

I have made so many connections with each team member this week and this will always be an unforgettable experience.  I had signed up for this trip last minute and had no expectations. I cannot even describe our days with special needs children/adults, young teen mothers, HIV positive children, and others who have been abandoned due to physical and mental ailments. After dicussing with the other rookies (Britt, Jen & Jessica), we had all put ourselves outside of our comfort zones and embraced an unfamiliar situation. Feeding immobile nonverbal children in chairs had to be one of the most difficult tasks and challenged who I was as a person.  After spending days with these individuals, I will never look at special needs individuals the same.  Every single person I had encountered had a beautiful soul and energy.  Whether verbal, smile, touch or glance, I felt the unconditional love and how special these individuals are.

After many years of philanthropic activities, I am so impressed with Mustard Seed and their programs.  Every resident is cared for and loved in these communities spread across Kingston.  Andrew had done an amazing job keeping us in check and making sure we are always on schedule which had to be a difficult task considering there were 7 girls and himself.  I had the pleasure of meeting the founder Msgr. Gregory who lit up the room with his contagious laugh and overwhelming positive energy.  It gave us a feeling that our work here will really impact and make a difference.

The highlights of the trip had to be the dance parties formally and informally at Jacob's Ladder where we resided.  As soon as Christina played her iPhone reggae playlists, the residents would break out dance moves and grab our hands to join them in festivities. We were included in a Christmas dance party including Elvis Christmas songs as the sun beat down.  Jessica and I had a chance to spend a day with nonverbal young boys in chairs and read stories to them.  The smiles we received were priceless and we were overcome by laughter.

Not only did we spend a beautiful day at a Jamaican beach today, but we celebrated new friendships and the work and love we had given and received to those residing at Mustard Seed.  I do walk away from this experince questioning if perhaps these children had impacted my life more as they showed me unfiltered unconditional love and what life is really about.  I set the intention as I return to NYC to have compassion for all and to quote Bob Marly "One Love."

Lindsay (Rookie)
http://www.mustardseed.com/goto/NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment